Applying for admission as an exchange/study abroad student

Step 1: Apply online

Undergraduate students

Please visit the following link to submit an application. Select application type “Undergraduate” and application category “Study Abroad.” If you have any questions or encounter any technical issues, please let us know and we will assist as soon as possible.  Please send an email to to notify us you have submitted an application.  This will allow us to track your application.


Graduate students

Before completing the on-line application, Graduate students must first be approved through the department they wish to study within at S&T.  To receive approval, please send the following to

  • Name of the student
  • Email address for the student
  • Department the student wishes to study within
  • Full transcript from home university (in English) for both the undergraduate degree and the current graduate degree the student is pursuing
  • English Proficiency test such as a TOFEL or IELTS,
  • GRE or GMAT scores, this is especially important if a student will be requesting to assist with research. (Please note, not all departments are able to accommodate research requests)
  • Students requesting to be part of a research project may be required by the academic department to provide additional information, including a research interest/research project.  Academic department web pages include information about ongoing research.  The request to participate in research requires additional approvals, so additional time should be allowed for processing the request for acceptance.
  • Students may also provide a letter of purpose, which provides the department with additional information about why the student has chosen to study abroad during their graduate program.

The Study Abroad Coordinator will work with the department to receive approval and to have an academic advisor assigned to the student.  Once the department has approved the student, the Study Abroad Coordinator will notify the student and provide further information about the on-line application process.



Step 2: Send us your documents

After your application has been accepted, we will issue an acceptance package containing immigration documentation needed to obtain your J-1 visa to study in the U.S. as an exchange or study abroad student.  To create your visa documents, please send the following information to

  • Copy of your online application
  • Transcript in English
  • Financial support document*
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Copy of passport
  • Permanent address and address where to send the DS-2019 immigration document
  • Field/Department of Study

*Exchange students:  If you are applying as an exchange student under an existing agreement with Missouri S&T, please show proof of financial support of a minimum of $7,750 per semester or $15,500 for two semesters. This estimated amount includes room and board, books and supplies, personal needs, health insurance, and the International student fee. If you are not part of an existing exchange agreement, please note that regular tuition fees apply. Please see the amounts below for "study abroad students."

*Study abroad students: If you are a visiting fee-paying, undergraduate study abroad student, please show proof of financial support of a minimum of $23,254 per semester or $46507 for two semesters.  If you are a fee-paying, graduate study abroad student, please show proof of financial support of a minimum of $23,358 per semester or $46,715 for two semesters. This estimated amount includes tuition, room and board, books and supplies, personal needs, health insurance and the International student fee.

To ensure your financial support documents meet the requirements, please see Sample Affidavit and SampleBankStatement.pdf.



Step 3: Send us proof of English language proficiency

Exchange and study abroad students attending Missouri S&T must have sufficient English skills to participate actively in class work, study, and take exams. Because many of our classes are technical, the student must be able to read, understand, and speak English sufficiently to keep up with the rest of the class. To help us understand your English skills, we require some type of indication of your English abilities whether that is a TOEFL score or another type of exam, description of English studies, or explanation of student’s abilities. A general guideline is that students should have English skills equal to a 79 on the TOEFL exam. Please send us your documents to



 Contact us at if you have any questions.