Passport/Visa Information

A valid passport is required for anyone traveling outside of the United States. In addition, many foreign countries require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa for entry, and the rules can vary widely. Please make sure to obtain the documentation necessary well in advance of any international travel, and comply with all of the regulations set by the country to which you are traveling. Many of the requirements for travel are discussed in detail on this page. In most instances, the information provided applies specifically to U.S. citizens. Faculty members who are citizens of other nations should also check the rules and regulations of the host country regarding the appropriate documentation for your visit. Generally this information can be found on the embassy’s website, however, you may want to contact your home country’s embassy in the United States for additional information.

In order to obtain certain travel documents, such as a newly issued passport or visa, you will be required to provide photos which meet specific requirements for size, background, etc.    Walgreens pharmacies in some locations offer a passport photo service for a fee.  

Obtaining a Valid Passport

The U.S. Department of State website, has information on how to apply for a first time passport, how to add pages to your current passport and how to renew your expired passport.

To apply for a new passport, you are required to appear in person at an authorized passport acceptance facility.  This requirement applies if: 

  • you are requesting a passport for first time,
  • you need to replace a lost or stolen passport,
  • your name has changed, or
  • your passport has been expired for more than 15 years.

Go to the Department of State website and complete the on-line form DS-11.  Take this form and any required documents to the Phelps County Clerk at the Phelps County Courthouse, 200 N. Main St., Suite 101, Rolla, MO 65401.  You will need to bring the completed form, passport photos, proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate or naturalization papers), a photo ID, and proof of any legal name changes with you when applying.  All fees must be paid by cash, check or money order; debit and credit cards are not accepted.  More information is available on the Phelps County Clerk’s website.  

If you have an existing passport that needs to be renewed, you may do so by mail.  Go to the Department of State website to complete form DS-82.  You will need to mail the completed form, along with your most recent passport, a passport photo and the required fees to the address listed on the form.  It is strongly recommended that you use a traceable delivery method, such as Priority or Express mail.  Normal processing times are 4-6 weeks; however, there is an expedited service available for an additional fee.  In general, you should always maintain at least 6 months validity on your passport when traveling outside the U.S. 

We recommend that you make two copies of your passport identification page.  One should be left with a friend or relative in the United States, and the other should be carried with you in a separate place from your actual passport.  This can facilitate the replacement of your passport if it is lost or stolen.