Getting Started

Information Sessions


 Join Study Abroad Coordinator Phaze Roeder at our Study Abroad Information Sessions to explore how programs through Missouri S&T can widen your worldview and push your perspective.

 Review the Session dates, then register to attend!


Applicants must be in good academic standing and have spent at least one fully-enrolled semester on the S&T campus. A 2.75 GPA is the general requirement though some host universities may require a higher GPA. 

If the primary language of instruction for a particular program is not English, students must have reached a level of linguistic proficiency sufficient to pursue course work at the host institution. Students should check individual program requirements for any language prerequisites.

To ensure transfer of credit, S&T students are required to work with their academic and study abroad advisors when choosing their courses and study abroad program. Students should meet with their Academic Advisor and complete the Application for Credit for Study Abroad Coursework (available on your GlobalMiner profile). The application has to be signed by the student, Academic Advisor and Department Chair. 

S&T students can study abroad starting their second semester freshmen year to their senior year. As a result of the degree requirements as well as the study abroad application process, it is best that students start planning full semester prior their intended time abroad.

S&T students have the choice of studying during the following terms (duration of the program):

  • Short-term programs (summer, winter break, spring break)
  • Semester programs (fall and spring semesters)
  • Academic year programs

The ideal duration of study abroad usually depends on the student’s specific degree program and student’s goals. Academic advisers can help determine which term and program duration will work best for a particular student. When you research programs, please remember to check the academic calendar of the institution (start and end of semester/academic year); these may vary in different parts of the world

When you search the different programs offered by S&T, the "language of instruction" section may designate programs where regular university coursework is taught primarily in a language other than English. These programs usually have specific language coursework prerequisites as an eligibility requirement. For example if the language of instruction is German, you will be expected to show a certain level of proficiency in the German language before being able to enroll.  The program brochure will also indicate if the institution offers courses thought in English. The current list of courses thought in English can be found on the host university’s page.

As you progress towards your degree, the course requirements become more specific and credit transfer from the study abroad institution may be difficult. To ensure transfer of credit, S&T students are required to work with their academic advisor and study abroad coordinator to select the appropriate courses. After you have been accepted to a program, you are required to meet with your academic advisor and complete the Application for Credit for Study Abroad Coursework form. The form must be signed by your academic advisor and Department Chair.

back to top

Program Options

Missouri S&T offers the following types of Study Abroad programs: MOCON, independent agreement, MAUI-Utrecht, Global E3, and Magellan Exchange. Read thoroughly about the programs and their application processes.

Independent Agreement exchanges are partnerships Missouri S&T has established with specific schools student exchange. This means that for every S&T student that studies at the partner institution, a student at the partner university comes to S&T.

The application process is via nomination. Apply online at; if selected, you will be nominated to the institution of choice. Once the host university reaches an admissions decision, we will notify and send your post-decision to-do list.

The MAUI–Utrecht Network Student Exchange Program is facilitated by a consortium of universities across the Midwestern United States and Europe. The network of schools and programs abroad enables S&T students to study at sites throughout Europe during the fall or spring semesters or spend an entire academic year at a member university in Europe.  To research member universities, fields of study and language requirements, see the program brochures with MAUI – Utrecht in the title or visit the MAUI – Utrecht website.

The application process is also via nomination, but slightly different than the independent agreements. Apply online at; if selected, you will be nominated to the MAUI–Utrecht consortium. MAUI–Utrecht would then place you with the institution of choice. Once the host university reaches an admissions decision, we will notify and send your post-decision to-do list.

Global Engineering Education Exchange (Global E3) is an exchange program for engineering students with member universities in more than 23 countries and 70 universities.

In this dual application process, apply online at and to Global E3 at the same time. Once both applications are complete, Global E3 places you with a host institution. Once the host university reaches an admissions decision, we will notify and send your post-decision to-do list.

Magellan Exchange is another consortium of universities worldwide that exchange students among the member institutions.

Similar to the Global E3 application process, apply online at and the Magellan website at the same time.
Please be advised of the $150 application required by Magellan Exchange.

Once the host university reaches an admissions decision, we will notify and send your post-decision to-do list.

Once familiar with program types, you'll be ready to explore destinations through the Global Miners application portal.


back to top

Financing Study Abroad

S&T study abroad/exchange students are billed for 15 undergraduate or 9 graduate credits and applicable fees for a semester according to the regular S&T billing schedule. Non-Missouri resident students are charged resident tuition fees while in an exchange student program abroad. In addition, all students pay a $300 non-refundable study abroad administrative fee. This fee is applied to your account once you have been accepted by the host university. Check each program for detailed budget information and speak with your Study Abroad coordinator for more information.

Important note:  All students, whether in-state or out-of-state, will be billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.  Therefore, students who normally receive scholarships for out-of-state tuition cannot apply them toward their semester or year abroad.

Most Missouri S&T students studying abroad use some type of financial aid (loans, partial scholarships or grants) to fund their program. In most cases, funding does not come from one source, but rather from various sources (loans, partial scholarships, grants, personal savings, parents etc.).

Most of the financial aid (loans, grants, and scholarships) that you receive at Missouri S&T can be used for study abroad. Some students may receive additional aid for study abroad. As a part of your application process, you will be required to fill out a Cost Comparison Worksheet with the help of the S&T the Student Financial Assistance office. This will give you a realistic expectation on what your study abroad program will cost as well as what your financial aid will cover.

All students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for financial aid. Even if you don’t qualify for financial aid to study at Missouri S&T, you may receive aid for a study abroad program. Some types of aid are available regardless of need (such as unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans), but you must file a FAFSA in order to receive them.

Important note: If you normally receive scholarships for out of state tuition, these scholarship(s) will not apply during your semester or year abroad since all students (out of state or in state) will be billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.

For more information, talk to a counselor at the Student Financial Assistance Office about your plans for studying abroad.  Keep these questions in mind:

  • What kind of aid/loans do I currently receive, and are there any restrictions on this aid if I study abroad? (examples include tuition waivers, work study, grants, Stafford Loans or parent loans)
  • Have I reached the maximum of (insert name of) loan allowed per academic year?
  • How do loans work for study abroad?
  • When will funds release for my semester of participation?
  • How will additional scholarships impact my S&T financial aid?

You can apply for Missouri S&T Study Abroad Scholarships and as well as externally-administered scholarships. You can apply for a Missouri S&T Study Abroad Scholarship as a part of your study abroad application; to be considered for the external scholarships, a separate application is required.

See the list of scholarship opportunites and browse the possibilities.

back to top

Essential Information


Health and safety is a primary concern when traveling abroad; advanced planning and preparedness is necessary.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website includes a Travelers’ Health feature with up-to-date information on current travel health warnings. and a database with recommendations for vaccinations and/or medications for each country. Visit their site and click on “destinations” to choose the country to which you are travelling.  You will be directed to a specific overview of health information for travelers.   


Please see your health care provider to update vaccinations or to obtain a prescription for antimalarial or other medications you may need. Another option is to visit a clinic that specializes in travel related services, such as Travel Connections in Columbia, or Passport Health in St. Louis. These clinics can provide travel related vaccinations and medications. Keep in mind that in some cases, it may take time for the vaccine to take effect, so it is important to plan in advance.


Missouri S&T requires registration with the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), while traveling on university official business, so that they can better assist you in an emergency. You may register yourself or contact our office for assistance. The university does not recommend that faculty and staff travel to countries deemed dangerous or unstable. The Department of State issues a travel advisory when the government recommends that Americans avoid or carefully consider the risk of travel to a particular country.  A warning is also issued when the U.S. Government’s ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate.  


For comprehensive health and safety information for travelers, see the OSAC Travel Security Form.

GeoBlue Insurance (contracted by UM system) is the mandatory insurance for students traveling abroad. This policy offers fully comprehensive health insurance coverage while traveling abroad. This insurance would be your primary insurance while abroad even if you have another insurance policy.  Instruction on how to purchase the insurance can be found at GeoBlue University of Missouri Student Member Guide. The insurance is a monthly insurance and the cost is $35.20 per 30 day period.

A valid passport is required for anyone traveling outside of the United States. In addition, many foreign countries require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa for entry, and the rules can vary widely. Please make sure to obtain the documentation necessary well in advance of any international travel, and comply with all of the regulations set by the country to which you are traveling. Many of the requirements for travel are discussed in detail on this page. In most instances, the information provided applies specifically to U.S. citizens. Faculty members who are citizens of other nations should also check the rules and regulations of the host country regarding the appropriate documentation for your visit. Generally this information can be found on the embassy’s website, however, you may want to contact your home country’s embassy in the United States for additional information.

In order to obtain certain travel documents, such as a newly issued passport or visa, you will be required to provide photos which meet specific requirements for size, background, etc. The Miner Card ID office, Room 106 Centennial Hall, can process passport photos for $10. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Walgreens pharmacies also offer a passport photo service.

back to top