Financing Your Study Abroad

S&T study abroad/exchange students are enrolled in 15 undergraduate or 9 graduate credit hours for the fall and spring term, and either 3 or 6 credit hours for the summer term.  Non-Missouri residents participating in a study abroad exchange program pay the resident tuition fees. Students are required to pay applicable fees for a semester according to the regular S&T billing schedule. In addition, all students pay a $300 non-refundable study abroad administrative fee. This fee is applied to their Missouri S&T student account after they are accepted by the host university. Check each program for detailed budget information and speak with your Study Abroad Coordinator for more information.

All students, whether in-state or out-of-state, are billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.  Therefore, students who normally receive scholarships for out-of-state tuition cannot apply their scholarships toward their semester or year abroad. For any questions regarding scholarships and financial aid, please contact Student Financial Assistance.

Financial Aid

Most Missouri S&T students studying abroad use some type of financial aid (i.e. loans, partial scholarships or grants). In most cases, funding comes from multiple sources (e.g. loans, partial scholarships, grants, personal savings, or parents).

Most types of financial aid can be used to pay for study abroad. Some students may receive additional aid for study abroad. Students are required to fill out a Cost Comparison Worksheet with the help of the S&T Student Financial Assistance Office. This provides students with a realistic expectation of overall costs and how much is covered by financial aid.

To apply for financial aid, students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who do not qualify for financial aid at Missouri S&T, may qualify for financial aid to study abroad. Some types of aid are available regardless of need (e.g. unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans), however students must file a FAFSA in order to receive them.

Important note: If you normally receive scholarships for out of state tuition, these scholarship(s) will not apply during your semester or year abroad since all students (out of state or in-state) will be billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.

For more information, talk to a counselor at the Student Financial Assistance Office about your plans for studying abroad.  Keep these questions in mind:

  • What kind of aid/loans do I currently receive, and are there any restrictions on this aid if I study abroad? (Examples include tuition waivers, work-study, grants, Stafford Loans or parent loans.)
  • Have I reached the maximum loan amount allowed per academic year?
  • How do loans work for study abroad?
  • When will funds be applied and refunds issued for my semester abroad?
  • How will additional scholarships affect my S&T financial aid?
  • Do I need to take specific courses or credit hours to receive my financial aid?


You can apply for Missouri S&T Study Abroad Scholarships and externally-administered scholarships. 

Review the Missouri S&T scholarship page and browse the possibilities.