Outgoing Exchange & Study Abroad Students


Why study abroad?  Your interest has brought you this far; let us offer a few incentives to add to your already-existing wanderlust.

Past participants have said that experiencing a new culture helped them define their academic and career goals; taught them about living and working independently; helped them learn a foreign language; and, ultimately, helped them learn more about themselves.

Plus...employers indicate that study abroad gives applicants an edge in the application and interview process!


-  Choose from programs offered in over 90 destinations and courses in every major
-  Take courses in English, or in the host country's language
-  With proper planning, study abroad will not delay your graduation
-  With good budget planning, studying abroad is feasible for many students!
-  S&T Study Abroad is here to help you - every step of the way! 

Information Sessions

Participate in an Information Session to explore how programs through Missouri S&T can widen your worldview and broaden your global perspective.

Register to attend


Students must be in good academic standing and have completed at least one full-time semester on the S&T campus. A 2.75 GPA is the general minimum requirement.

If the primary language of instruction for a particular program is not English, students must have reached a level of linguistic proficiency sufficient to pursue course work at the host institution. Students should check individual program requirements for any language prerequisites.

To ensure the transfer of credit, you are required to work with your academic and study abroad advisor when choosing courses and a study abroad program. You should meet with your academic advisor to complete the Application for Credit for Study Abroad Coursework (available on their GlobalMiner profile). The application must be signed by you, your academic advisor, and academic department chair. 

S&T students can study abroad beginning their second semester first year. As a result of the degree requirements as well as the study abroad application process, you should start planning at least one full semester before your intended time abroad.

You have the choice of studying during the following terms and program program durations:

  • Short-term programs (summer, winter break, spring break)
  • Semester programs (fall and spring semesters)
  • Academic year programs

The ideal duration to study abroad depends on each student’s specific degree program and academic goals. Academic advisers can help determine which term and program duration will work best for you. Remember to check the start and end dates of the academic calendar of the host institution, as these may vary in different parts of the world.

Programs offered by S&T will list a primary language of instruction inthe "language of instruction" section within GlobalMiners. For those programs that list an instruction language other than English, there will typically be specific language coursework prerequisites as an eligibility requirement. For example if the language of instruction is German, you will be expected to show a certain level of proficiency in the German language before you can enroll.  Visit globalminers.mst.edu for information specific to each program and check out the academics tab for information about courses offered in English.

As you progress towards your degree, the course requirements become more specific and credit transfer from the host institution may be difficult. To ensure transfer of credit, students are required to work with their academic advisor and study abroad coordinator to select the appropriate courses. After you are accepted into a program, you are required to meet with your academic advisor to complete the Application for Credit for Study Abroad Coursework. The application must be signed by your academic advisor and department chair. Refer to the International Course Equivalency Database to learn which courses are approved for Missouri S&T course equivalency at many of our study abroad locations.

Back to top

Program Options

Missouri S&T offers study abroad opportunities through consortium and direct university-to-university agreements (independent agreements).

MOCON offers study abroad opportunities in London, Ghana, and Portugal. 

The MOCON application fee is $150 and is non-refundable. This fee will be applied to your student account before the start of your semester abroad.

Missouri-Africa Program

Missouri-London Program

Missouri-Portugal Program

Independent agreements are study abroad opportunities where Missouri S&T and a partner university have agreed to the exchange of students.  This means that for every S&T student that studies at the partner institution, a student at the partner university comes to S&T.

The application process is through direct nomination. Students may apply online at GlobalMiners.mst.edu; Selected students are nominated to the institution of their choice.  After a student is nominated to a university and the university accepts the nomination, the student is notified and asked to complete the host university’s application. If the host university decides to admit the student, the student will be notified and a post-decision to-do list will be available within GlobalMiners. 

The MAUI–Utrecht Network Student Exchange Program is facilitated by a consortium of universities across the Midwestern United States (MAUI) with a consortium of universities in Europe (Utrecht). The network of schools and programs abroad enables S&T students to study at sites throughout Europe during the fall or spring semesters or spend an entire academic year at a member university in Europe.  To research member universities, fields of study, and language requirements, review the program brochures with MAUI – Utrecht Exchange in the title or visit the MAUI  website.

The application process is also via nomination, but slightly different from the independent agreements. Apply online at GlobalMiners.mst.edu.   Once the application is completed, students will be nominated by the MAUI consortium to study at Utrecht member universities of their choice.   Placement may be highly competitive at some Utrecht universities.    After a student is nominated to a university and the university accepts the nomination, the student is notified and asked to complete the host university’s application. If the host university decides to admit the student, the student will be notified and a post-decision to-do list will be available within GlobalMiners. 

Global Engineering Education Exchange (Global E3) is an exchange consortium for engineering and computer science students with member universities in more than 23 countries and 70 universities.   

In this dual application process, students apply online at GlobalMiners.mst.edu andGlobal E3 at the same time. Once both applications are complete, Global E3 places applicants with a host institution. Placement may be highly competitive at some universities. If the host university decides to admit the student, the student will be notified and a post-decision to-do list will be available within GlobalMiners. 

Magellan Exchange is another consortium that exchanges students among its member institutions worldwide.

Similar to the Global E3 application process, students apply online at GlobalMiners.mst.edu and at the Magellan website at the same time.  Once both applications are complete, Magellan places applicants with a host institution.  If the host university decides to admit the student, the student will be notified and a post-decision to-do list will be available within GlobalMiners. 

The Magellan Exchange application fee is $150 and is non-refundable. 

Once you are familiar with the different types of programs, you will be ready to explore study abroad destinations through the Global Miners application portal.

 Back to top

Financing Study Abroad

S&T study abroad/exchange students are enrolled in 15 undergraduate or 9 graduate credit hours for the fall and spring term and either 3 or 6 credit hours for the summer term.  Non-Missouri residents participating in a study abroad exchange program pay the resident tution fees. Students are required to pay applicable fees for a semester according to the regular S&T billing schedule. In addition, all students pay a $300 non-refundable study abroad administrative fee. This fee is applied to their Missouri S&T student account after they are accepted by the host university. Check each program for detailed budget information and speak with your Study Abroad Coordinator for more information.

Important note:  All students, whether in-state or out-of-state, are billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.  Therefore, students who normally receive scholarships for out-of-state tuition cannot apply their scholarships toward their semester or year abroad. For any questions regarding scholarships and financial aid, please contact Student Financial Assistance.

Most Missouri S&T students studying abroad use some type of financial aid (i.e. loans, partial scholarships or grants). In most cases, funding comes from multiple sources (e.g. loans, partial scholarships, grants, personal savings, or parents).

Most types of financial aid can be used to pay for study abroad. Some students may receive additional aid for study abroad. Students are required to fill out a Cost Comparison Worksheet with the help of the S&T Student Financial Assistance Office. This provides students with a realistic expectation of overall costs and how much is covered by financial aid.

To apply for financial aid, students should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who do not qualify for financial aid at Missouri S&T, may qualify for financial aid to study abroad. Some types of aid are available regardless of need (e.g. unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans), however students must file a FAFSA in order to receive them.

Important note: If you normally receive scholarships for out of state tuition, these scholarship(s) will not apply during your semester or year abroad since all students (out of state or in-state) will be billed in-state tuition while studying abroad.

For more information, talk to a counselor at the Student Financial Assistance Office about your plans for studying abroad.  Keep these questions in mind:

  • What kind of aid/loans do I currently receive, and are there any restrictions on this aid if I study abroad? (Examples include tuition waivers, work-study, grants, Stafford Loans or parent loans.)
  • Have I reached the maximum loan amount allowed per academic year?
  • How do loans work for study abroad?
  • When will funds be applied and refunds issued for my semester abroad?
  • How will additional scholarships affect my S&T financial aid?
  • Do I need to take specific courses or credit hours to receive my financial aid?

You can apply for Missouri S&T Study Abroad Scholarships and externally-administered scholarships. 

Review the Missouri S&T scholarship page and browse the possibilities.

Back to top

Essential Information


The university does not recommend that faculty and staff travel to countries deemed dangerous or unstable. The Department of State issues a travel advisory when the government recommends that Americans avoid or carefully consider the risk of travel to a particular country.  A warning is also issued when the U.S. Government’s ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure of an embassy or consulate.  


Health and safety is a primary concern when traveling abroad. Advanced planning and preparedness is necessary.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website includes a Travelers’ Health feature with up-to-date information on current travel health warnings. and a database with recommendations for vaccinations and/or medications for each country. Visit their site and click on “destinations” to choose the country to which you are traveling.  You will be directed to a specific overview of health information for travelers.   


Missouri S&T requires registration with the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), while traveling on university official business so that they can better assist you in an emergency. Students will register themselves through GlobalMiners or can contact our office for assistance. 


All students are required to follow the guidelines for international travel as dictated by the University of Missouri System and Missouri S&T. These guidelines are available for review below.  Students should familiarize themselves with these guidelines while planning for their semester abroad. 

Missouri S&T Student International Travel Policy

UM System Guideline on Student or Other Participant International Travel or Study Abroad



Please see your health care provider to update vaccinations or to obtain a prescription for antimalarial or other medications you may need. Another option is to visit a clinic that specializes in travel-related services, such as Travel Connections in Columbia, or Passport Health in St. Louis. These clinics can provide travel-related vaccinations and medications. Keep in mind that in some cases, it may take time for the vaccine to take effect, so it is important to plan in advance.


For comprehensive health and safety information for travelers, see the OSAC Travel Security Form.

GeoBlue Insurance (contracted by UM system) is the mandatory insurance for students traveling abroad. This policy offers fully comprehensive health insurance coverage while traveling abroad. This insurance would be your primary insurance while abroad even if you have another insurance policy.  Instruction on how to purchase the insurance can be found on the GeoBlue Member Guide 2020-2021. The insurance is billed monthly and the cost as of August 2020 is $38 per 30 day period.

Learn more about required insurance

A valid passport is required for anyone traveling outside of the United States. In addition, many foreign countries require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa for entry, and the rules can vary widely. Please make sure to obtain the documentation necessary well in advance of any international travel, and comply with all of the regulations set by the country to which you are traveling. Many of the requirements for travel are discussed in detail on this page. In most instances, the information provided applies specifically to U.S. citizens. Students, faculty, and staff members who are citizens of other nations should also check the rules and regulations of the host country regarding the appropriate documentation for your visit. Generally this information can be found on the embassy’s website, however, you may want to contact your home country’s embassy in the United States for additional information.

To obtain certain travel documents, such as a newly issued passport or visa, you are required to provide photos that meet specific requirements. Places such as the U.S. Postal Services office and Walgreens offer photo services. 

Obtaining a Valid Passport

Employers report that graduates with international experience exceed other job candidates in almost every transferable skill that hiring managers are looking for and emphasize that international experience is becoming increasingly more important. Use your study abroad experience to gain professional skills and then emphasize your global education when you are completing your resume!

The Study Abroad Office is here to assist you in marketing your study abroad experience to future employers. Email studyabroad@mst.edu for assistance.

At the IIE Summit on Generation Study Abroad, Ruth Ferguson—Head of Human Resources for Global Corporate and Investment Banking, Bank of America Merrill Lynch—stressed the importance of articulating these skills gained through study abroad in job interviews. Listen to her advice on how to talk about study abroad in an interview. 

Back to top